The FTP tool pushes code commits to an FTP server or SFTP server. You can use it to deploy and update Web sites.
Adding the FTP tool
You can add the FTP tool to your workspace by opening your Space's Admin page and then opening the Tools page. Scroll down, and the FTP tool will be listed in the Build and Deploy section.
Configuring the FTP tool
FTP Server Name: Any name you want to give to identify this configuration internally. Used only as a recognizable label for your convenience.
FTP Server Address: The Full Hostname of your FTP server, without the folder path. E.g., ftp.example.com
Remote Path: The folder path of the remote folder on your FTP server that you will deploy into.
Login: The username of the FTP account that will be used by the FTP tool to write to your remote folder.
Password: The password of the FTP account that will be used by the FTP tool to write to your remote folder.
Repository: The folder in your Assembla repository that will be deployed. If you want to deploy from the root folder of your Assembla repository, you can leave this field blank.
1. Directions for using the FTP tool:
- The Remote path folder must exist and must be empty when you deploy for the first time
- User in Login field must exist on the server and must have write permissions
- Do not modify the content in the remote folder manually- the FTP tool must manage the content
2. Can I change the Remote Path after the first deploy?
If you do the first deploy and then change the Remote Path in the FTP tool, you should manually copy the content from the remote folder listed as the previous Remote Path into the remote folder now listed as the Remote Path, or the deploy will fail
3. How can I fix the deploy if I changed the content of the remote folder by hand?
You should delete the FTP Tool from the Admin-Tools page, then add it and configure it again. You need to deploy to a new empty folder, or delete the existing contents on the remote folder before doing a deploy with the new FTP tool.
4. Will there be a problem if I configure two servers with the same Server Address and Remote Path?
At this time, we do not have a check in place to prevent duplicate server configs, but trying to use duplicate servers will break the deploy of both servers
5. Is there a limit of servers?
Yes, you can have up to 50 FTP servers per space.
6. What if I get this error: 'FTP deploy fails with number of max retries exceeded'?
Please try the following:
- Make sure your FTP credentials are correct.
- Try setting 'Active' and 'Passive' modes and run a test deploy to see if it works.
- Decrease number of concurrent connections to 5 or 3.
- Set up path from absolute (/trunk) to a folder containing small amount of files (like /trunk/folder).
If you have any questions or need assistance. Please always feel free to email us at email@example.com. We will be happy to assist.